US President Donald Trump announced that he will stop the funding for World Health Organization (WHO). Trump wants a 60- to 90-day investigation into how the international agency has handled the response to the COVID-19 pandemic. He’s accused WHO of being a double agent by “severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus,” at a White House press conference in the Rose Garden on Tuesday, adding “everybody knows what’s going on there.”
Trump had threatened to end the funding last week. In response to Trump’s threat that he might cut WHO funding, the WHO’s director general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, toughly urged world leaders not to politicize the pandemic. “We will have many body bags in front of us if we don’t behave,” said Tedros.
POTUS crashed detente, cut all USD 500M funding for World Health Organization (WHO) as the death toll from the pandemic topped 126,776 with 2,000,728 people infected by the disease that has ravaged the society and changed lives with billions around the world confined to their homes.
In Kenya, the number of those infected has topped 216 with 9 people passing on from the disease. There are 41 recoveries.
Trump says that there would be minimal infections and deaths if WHO had correctly assessed the situation in China.
“The outbreak could have been contained “with very little death” if the WHO had accurately assessed the situation in China, where the disease broke out late last year,” charged the US president.